Refugees in Spain status PMC h1>
Obtaining the refugee status is an opportunity guaranteed by international law to protect persons persecuted at home. Read more about who has the right to be recognized as a refugee in the article – How to get refugee status in Spain?
Read more about who has the right to be recognized as a refugee in the article – How to get refugee status in Spain?
There are differences in the length of stay in the territory of the Kingdom of Spain for refugees for political and humanitarian reasons.
Thus, “humanitarian refugees” receive a residence permit for a period of 1 year and are obliged to renew it annually, while political refugees can seek asylum for a period of 1 to 3 years.
Accelerated acquisition of citizenship for refugees.
Admission to the citizenship of Spain for refugees occurs on preferential terms. A refugee who has lived in Spain for 5 years can submit to the Spanish authorities a petition for acceptance into the kingdom’s kingdom.
Here is a quote from the Spanish Civil Code on the requirement of residence (residence permit of refugees in Spain): “Cinco anos: para la concesion de la nacionalidad espanola a aquellas personas que hayan obtenido la condicion de refugiado.”
You can download this application here solicitud de adquisicion de la nacionalidad espanola por residencia and it is provided together with the documents in Registro Civil.
Where can I apply for refugee status? Treatment procedure.
1. In order to obtain refugee status, you should contact the Refugee Department in Spain, whose offices are located at the exit to the country. In addition, a similar application can be submitted to the Embassy of Spain.
2. If a foreigner applies to the Office for Refugees, when entering the country, he should write a statement (solicitud) of the appropriate form and attach a petition to him.
3. After that, the emigrant is interviewed by an official of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, during which the reasons for his request are clarified, as well as the route by which he reached the kingdom. If necessary, a foreigner is provided with a free interpreter.
After this, a decision is made whether to forward the application for further consideration to the Spanish authorities or immediately refuse to grant refugee status.
“Humanitarian refugees” – the features of the procedure.
1. If a foreigner is already in the territory of the kingdom, then he must, within the first month of his stay, apply to the police or to the Office for Refugees with a statement.
2. During the interview, he has the right to a free interpreter and legal assistance throughout the entire process of considering his application.
3. Immediately after the petition is submitted, the alien passes under the tutelage of the Red Cross society, which provides him with housing and food. With regard to the final decision of the Spanish authorities, this process can last for six months.
It should be remembered that due to the crisis in the Spanish economy, positive decisions regarding the granting of refugee status have recently been made in Spain a bit less frequently than before, although if a foreigner has arrived from the conflict zone, he is likely to have a positive outcome.
Natalia Magic, Elena Rimskaya, from the series “How to live in Spain”