Moving in Egypt h1>
Tourist Egypt in one form or another is familiar to almost every Russian. But what is there to live there? About difficulties, amazing things, life and leisure we talked with the inhabitant of Karelia Vladimir Ialovenko, who five years ago decided to move to Egypt.
Vladimir Ialovenko is 59 years old, he was born in Poland, lived and worked in Vladivostok, then moved to the capital of Karelia. Here he met and married a Petrozavodsk woman Tatiana, seven years ago they had a son, Kostya. Now Vladimir is retired. To talk, we met with him in the village of Suisar, where Vladimir sells his house to forever leave Karelia.
The first trip of Vladimir to Egypt – the resort town of Sharm el-Sheikh 10 years ago. The city did not like: except for the hotels there is nothing. The next year in winter they went for 29 days to Hurghada. When they arrived home, Vladimir and Tatiana realized that they did not want to return to their old life. There were many options for changing housing: Turkey, Montenegro, Bulgaria, Greece, Israel. The main factors in favor of Hurghada – the swimming season all year round and the Russian-language infrastructure.
– We returned home and realized that something is wrong in our life. In my old age, I do not want to rot in Karelia at all. Earlier it was possible to earn money, but now there is nothing to do. There were cold, mud, warmth, mosquitoes, then gadflies, even worse mosquitoes, then again mosquitoes, rain, seven months it will be snowing.
What have I lost here? I do not live here, I overcome here, I constantly struggle for life. And there life is a holiday. To understand this, it is necessary to come there. You will come and you will understand everything yourself. The sea there is warm, affectionate, beautiful, everyone around is smiling.
The hot climate of Egypt, Vladimir did not scare away.
– At us at 30 degrees humidity under 90%, to breathe there is nothing, the fish dies. In Egypt at a temperature of 42 degrees, very low humidity, do not even sweat. Heat of 40-45 degrees is easier to carry there than here 25-27. Everything is understood in contrast. To understand Egypt, you have to come there in November-December, when there is snow, and there is an abundance of flowers, fruit-filled markets. You get out of the plane, and it gives you heat, and the sea – 30 degrees. Try us every year to swim in Onego!
During the move, there was euphoria – they were going to buy a villa. But to begin with settled in a small and comfortable apartment – to the sea to go five minutes. They took pictures and three months later became owners.
– Bought from the calculation that we will have where to come, then we will buy a villa, and next year bah – revolution! We realized that we no longer need a villa.
In the neighborhood with the family of Vladimir live Swedes, Germans, several Ukrainians, but mostly Russian. Everyone has a good relationship. Some apartments are long standing empty due to constant rotation. When a lot of people gather in the house, the tenants take off the yacht and go all together for fishing for a couple of days.
In Egypt, Vladimir was struck by the abundance and quality of food. First time they were bought only in supermarkets.
“All food is many times greater than ours.” When here you eat tomato and cucumber, in order to know what exactly you eat, you have to look, you can not tell by taste. Vegetables are plastic. And there everything is very tasty, potatoes give 3-4 harvests a year, always young. When we arrived, the dollar was 26-30 rubles, we lived like kings. Oranges for those money – 6 rubles per kilogram, potatoes – 4 rubles, grapes – 12, strawberries – 15, meat of the highest quality – 150 rubles. Pork is not, but lamb is such that pork is not needed. You cook for 40 minutes and it melts in your mouth.
Traveling in Hurghada was also very cheap, the distance of 25 km by taxi cost 100 rubles. In the bus – from end to end 2 rubles. The machine was simply not needed.
– Veselukha began when the dollar became 80 rubles. The standard of living fell two and a half times. It was hard. It was necessary to adapt. We started to go to the market. If you went to the supermarket once a week, then to the market in 2-3 days. But I found such a pleasure in it. The oriental bazaar is something, a separate excursion, memorable for life.
Every time I take 5 kg of oranges from the market. For 1 kg there is no more than 5 pieces. Our tomatoes will lie for two months, they will not spoil, and there 3 days – that’s all. And what is mango? Mango is fantastic! This is not brought here – will not reach.
Advice to all tourists – when you go to the market, learn a few words in Arabic.
– To communicate normally, you should immediately speak Arabic, so that you understand that you are not a tourist. Tourist and Loch – there are synonyms. If they hear at least numbers in Arabic, prices will change for the better two or three times.
A very popular dish in Egypt is falafel. It is common in almost all the kitchens of the Middle East, as well as in some regions of the Middle East and North Africa. We can try it in vegetarian cafes.
– The standard of living of local residents is low. For example, a family of four lives in a rented apartment, only a husband works. They will have two hundred dollars a month to live. Meat they eat a little. But they have other food, such that meat can be dispensed with – falafel. The string beans are dried, grinded into flour, balls, cutlets are made from it. Falafel is eaten with lots of vegetables and sauces. The portion of falafel costs only 16 rubles, and enough will be eaten for the whole day. It is very tasty, but her stomach grows, and at least every day.
Continuing the conversation about the quality of products: a fake drug in Egypt is assigned the death penalty.
– The simplest drugs there are very effective. Sometimes you ask again the cost, knowing full well how much they cost in Russia, – eyes on the forehead climb. We drive them home with their suitcases.
According to Vladimir, the Egyptians are very sociable and friendly. If you go into the bus and say hello, then they greet you in response in chorus.
– The people are more simple, more intelligent. Living with Muslims in the neighborhood is very comfortable. They live according to their religious laws: this is the order in the house, the family, in the relationship – everything is very clear and calm. There you come – everyone smiles, but here try on the street say hello or go to the store with the words “Hello everyone!”. Look like a fool. They live by the rules.
Out of respect, I will never allow myself to walk around the city in shorts. His wife covers her arms, she collects her hair, partly in order not to attract attention, in part this is an elementary self-preservation: the hair under the burning sun breaks and splits. Often, tourists complain that if you walk down the street, men start whistling, pestering. They will be dressed normally – such attention would not be. If the legs and handles are closed, the hair is tidied, no one will stick. But if you wear a mini-skirt and dissolve your hair, it’s another matter.
Girls who want to attract attention, a lot. European women for 50-60 years go there for a sex tour. Spending time with a young Egyptian is costly for them. Everyone goes there for their own.
Going to the market is not the only entertainment of Vladimir. Leisure there is rich.
– Egypt is Egypt. The Valley of Giza is a pyramid, the Valley of the Kings is a tomb. It’s amazing, the frost on the skin is coming. In Giza you need to go for a few days, now the prices for excursions are two times cheaper. And if you want adrenaline, we take a quad bike, security and go to the desert. Protection is needed in case of meeting with Bedouins, they need to speak Arabic. The desert is very beautiful. One of the favorite pleasures is fishing. Weak tuna for 100 kilograms to catch? Entertainment is full, the sea is in itself the main entertainment.
When Vladimir and his wife moved to Egypt, his son Kostya was 7 months old, now the boy is 7 years old.
“My name can not be pronounced by the Egyptians, they call Aboukostya, which translates as” Daddy Bones “, Tatyana’s wife – Omukostya. The son has been swimming in water and underwater since the age of three. Water for him is a native element, he is like a fish in it.
Arriving in Russia, Kostya at first refused to speak Russian, much was unusual and difficult for him to understand.
– It’s raining, he’s running home, because it’s a disaster, we must hurry sooner. He also does not understand why it is necessary to dress warmly. He wants back to Egypt. There he is free. He came to the beach – his beach, but here it is set. The Egyptians will give everything for children, they are very fond of them. Kostya will pass along the beach – you can not have breakfast, give him pechenyushek, candy, soda.
True, there is a problem, Kostya is a blond blond. The Egyptians call him an angel and climb to kiss, stroke the head. They have such a tradition: touch the hair of a white child – for good luck. Sometimes you have to put on a hat. You walk along the street – a hand will stick out of the store and pat on the head.
We come home and my head. Usually we go like this: the wife and Kostya in front, I’m for the insurance from behind. Although by their rules, on the contrary: the man goes ahead, the wife is two steps behind him.
One of Vladimir’s main goals is for the son to learn Arabic. At the school chosen for Bones, they learn Russian, Arabic plus a choice of French or English, but there were only three candidates for the first grade this year, so I had to go to Moscow. There, the boy entered the first class, and next year he will go to school in Hurghada.
– Such a plan – up to grade 5 Kostya should learn Arabic. Knowledge of English is no longer considered, it is itself. The son will learn Arabic and will be employed without problems. In any embassy there is now an Arab branch, with a large deficit of translators.
In November 2015, air communication between Russia and Egypt was banned, this had a significant impact on the life of the Egyptians.
– After the Russians stopped to go, many cafes and restaurants were closed. When you go to places where before, as in the May Day demonstration, there was nowhere to take a step because of the crowd, it is now deserted. Hurghada has become a ghost town: it’s beautiful, the lights are on fire, but there are no people on the streets. Many hotels, aimed at Russian tourists, are closed. The Egyptians, working in tourism, sit without work, if the Russians will not continue to drive, they will simply starve to death. The trouble is that from the hopelessness of the locals began to rob, especially single women: motorcyclists on the hook pruning bags.
However, even under the current conditions, the Russians in Egypt live very well. The products are now cheaper, besides, you do not need to buy warm clothes.
One of the main questions for the Russian resident of Egypt – how safe was it in Hurghada during the revolution and street riots?
– We had events on Bolotnaya Square. Is this reflected in Karelia? In Hurghada, the same. A highway leads to the city, which in case of what will be closed by tanks and put a battalion of soldiers – no one will pass, and Hurghada sleeps quietly. All this time we felt calm.
The patrol was caught in the city, they placed checkpoints, wooled their own, so that there would be no problems. The security they have is serious, I can say for sure. There are a lot of police in crowded places, markets. Now you can get to Egypt via Turkey, regular flights are made.
According to Vladimir, the most unpleasant on the trip to Egypt, which spoils the whole impression – is the road from the Moscow airport to Petrozavodsk.
“We sold everything here and bought an apartment in Moscow, where we come in the summer, then we return to Egypt. How do I go to Hurghada? I put on light pants, a t-shirt and slippers, run to a taxi, dive into the airport – and I’m home again.
Now Vladimir and his family live in Moscow: Kostya needs to study, and next year plans to return to Hurghada. Vladimir admits that, having left for Egypt, they did not regret a single second.
– To decide on such a move, next to you should be a person who absolutely trusts you. And all my with me – a wife and a child. We do not need boats or cars. Life in Karelia depresses me, and I will not return here. There are so many interesting places. We must not be afraid to change our lives.
She graduated from the Faculty of PetrSU. He learns to play with words, likes interesting details and strives for ease of style. In people appreciates will power, kindness and self-irony. He himself ascribes it to himself with confidence. The real pleasure comes from good music, a cup of delicious tea and a company of witty interlocutor. He is in an active search for curious stories.
Depressive weather does not want to leave Karelia.
# ��������� on 01/25/2018.
Calendar of materials.
The modern Karelian regional media resource, which covers the current news and events round the clock in Petrozavodsk and the Republic of Karelia.
Feed navigation block.
Registered by the Federal Service for Supervision in the Communication, Information Technology and Mass Communications (Roskomnadzor).
Certificate of registration of mass media El � FS EL No FS 77 – 68008 dated 6/12/2016.